Austin EVSE FAQ
- What is Austin Energy’s Power Partner℠ EV program?
- Austin Energy’s Power Partner℠ EV program enhances power grid reliability for the community during peak hours, which occur when energy usage dramatically increases, typically on days of extreme heat. In exchange for allowing Austin Energy to periodically delay or slow charging, eligible participants receive upfront and recurring incentives.
- With the EV program, you earn a $25 bill credit for enrolling your qualifying Level 2 charger and agreeing to let Austin Energy make minor adjustments to your charger’s energy use during periods of increased electric demand.
- Earn an annual $25 bill credit at the end of each year you remain enrolled.
- Power Partner events typically occur June 1 - September 30. Events last up to 4 hours between 2-7 p.m., excluding ERCOT emergencies. A maximum of 15 Power Partner events will occur per month (primarily during the summer season), excluding ERCOT emergencies. You can opt out of an event at any time by adjusting your charger back to its normal settings without penalty. If you have a ChargePoint charger, you will be notified before an event via the ChargePoint app.
- Which EV chargers qualify for the Power Partner℠ EV program?
See the chart below for eligible charging equipment. Your charger must be installed and activated with internet connectivity prior to enrollment. Your Wi-Fi connection and EV charger(s) must be connected to your EV charger manufacturer’s account.
Manufacturer Model Name Power Input Indoor/Outdoor ChargePoint CPH25-L25-P Plug In Indoor Only ChargePoint CPH25-L25 Hardwired Indoor/Outdoor ChargePoint CPH25-L18-P Plug In Indoor Only ChargePoint CPH25-L18 Hardwired Indoor/Outdoor Enel X JuiceBox 48 Hardwired Indoor/Outdoor ChargePoint CPH50-NEMA6-50-L23 Plug In/ Hardwired Indoor/Outdoor ChargePoint CPH50-NEMA 14-50-L23 Plug In/ Hardwired Indoor/Outdoor Enel X JuiceBox 32 Plug In Indoor/Outdoor Enel X JuiceBox 40 Plug In Indoor/Outdoor Enel X JuiceBox 32 Hardwired Indoor/Outdoor Enel X JuiceBox 40 Hardwired Indoor/Outdoor
- Where can I learn more about eligible chargers?
For more information about the charging equipment list above, please visit the manufacturers’ websites. Customers must have one of the chargers listed above to be eligible for the Power Partner℠ EV program at this time, with additional makes and models potentially added later. Austin Energy offers a rebate for the purchase of eligible chargers, in addition to the Power Partner℠ EV program offering.
- Upon submitting my application, when will I be notified of my status in the program?
Austin Energy will provide email confirmation of your status in the program, typically within four weeks of applying.
- How will I receive my program incentive?
The $25 enrollment incentive will be issued in the form of an Austin Energy electric bill credit within 1-2 billing cycles after acceptance. For every year you remain in the program, you will receive an additional $25 credit.
- Where can I find the terms and conditions for this program?
You can find the program terms and conditions for the EV charger manufacturers here:
Provider Terms and Conditions ChargePoint Terms & Conditions EnelX Terms & Conditions
- How will I know that a Power Partner℠ event is in progress?
Depending on the EV charger manufacturer, notifications may appear before or at the start of the event in your web or mobile application.
- How will my EV charger be adjusted?
At the start of an event, your charger will be automatically adjusted to delay the vehicle charging. The adjustment will typically last no more than four hours on weekdays excluding ERCOT emergencies. Once the event is over, your charger will return to its normal operation. You can opt out of an event at any time from your charger manufacturer’s mobile app without penalty.
- Will participating in the program prevent my vehicle from receiving a full charge?
Energy adjustment events will either slow or temporarily delay the vehicle charging for up to four hours.
- Am I allowed to opt out of demand response events?
Yes. At any time during an event, you can opt out from your charger manufacturer’s web or mobile app. You will not be penalized for opting out of an event.
- Who can I contact if I have additional questions about the Power Partner℠ EV program?
Email us at AEpowerpartner@austinenergy.com
- Will I be notified of events?
Austin Energy does not control event notifications, which are set by the charging manufacturer.
- Participating customers will receive an alert the day of the Power Partner℠ event, usually 2-3 hours in advance.
- For more details on setting up ChargePoint notifications, please visit ChargePoint’s website.
- Enel X does not provide notifications prior to an event.
- Can I opt out?
Customers can opt out of events in the following ways:
- Via a weblink opt-out option in the email and text message notifications.
- Via the Home Charger Utility Event section opt-out option in the app.
- Customers can opt out at any time during the event without penalty by choosing the “charge now” option in the app or “Override: charge car now” in their online account dashboard.
- What should I expect during an event?
- When the event is in progress, the charger’s charging status either displays as paused or stopped or at a lower charge rate on the ChargePoint app
- Customers can tap on the “Utility Event” option in-app and turn participation off to continue charging as usual.
- The event will disappear from the in-app screen automatically once it ends. When the charger has a set charging schedule and there is an event during the scheduled charging time, the app screen will update to display when the charger will begin recharging on its set schedule based on the event duration.
- If the user turns the participation toggle off, the charging status updates from the scheduled time it would resume charging to “Not participating.”
- When a Power Partner℠ event is occurring, customers will see “Smart Charge Event Underway” or “Control Event in Progress” flash in their app (first screen) and online account dashboard.
- Participants can opt out of an adjustment event and begin recharging immediately by selecting the “Charge Now” option from the “Control” tab in the app or “Override: charge car now” in their online account dashboard.